building pftop from source fails

Max Laier max at love2party.net
Fri Apr 10 15:15:55 PDT 2009

On Friday 10 April 2009 23:20:12 Shaddi Hasan wrote:
> I'm trying to get pftop-0.6 to compile from source on a FreeBSD 6.0
> machine. I downloaded pftop-0.6.tar.gz from the author's website,

Okay ... I got a couple of questions about this:
1) Why? There is sysutils/pftop ready for the taking
2) Why 6.0?  It's EOL'ed (esp. in the pf department)
3) Why?!?

> extracted the contents to the machine, and ran "make" as root.
> However, the build fails. The output is as follows:
> ----------------
> # make
> cc -O2 -fno-strict-aliasing -pipe  -Wall -DOS_LEVEL=  -c

There's your problem right there.  You need to set the OS_LEVEL in the
Makefile in order to compile successfully.  See the aforementioned port's
Makefile for sensible values depending on __FreeBSD_version.

> I got similar output trying to compile pftop-0.7 (the most recent
> version), as well as both packages on a FreeBSD 7.0 machine. Any
> thoughts on why the build fails?

^ ... simply use the port.  Be advised, however, that the port fails to build
on recent CURRENT due to the libpcap 1.0 update - workaround patch for that
problem is attached, a proper solution should hit the tree over the weekend.

/"\  Best regards,                      | mlaier at freebsd.org