pf and 10g NICs

Chris Marlatt cmarlatt at rxsec.com
Tue Oct 21 18:05:24 UTC 2008

Rajkumar S wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Recently Vyatta had a press release about it's software (Linux) able
> to route 10gbps traffic.  That got me curious as to the maximum
> throughput pf can sustain with a 10G NIC.  Any one with any links of
> tests/benchmarks done?? I know the number of rules have an impact on
> throughput (amongst lot of other factors), but numbers like 10G looks
> great on press releases and in proposals, even if it's done
> with just a single pass rule :)
>
> raj

There is a huge difference between routing at 10Gb/s and filtering at
10Gb/s. I'd be willing to bet their performance with features enabled
and filtering (acl's) is significantly less than advertised.

To answer your question though. There is a lot of information in the
archives relating to pps performance and ipfw/pf. Fairly detailed
accounts of what was achieved. I would suggest searching there for more
information.

Regards,

	Chris