PF syntax error

Peter Clark clarkp at mtmary.edu
Wed Oct 15 22:17:52 UTC 2008

Jon Radel wrote:
> Ermal Luçi wrote:

>>> I've changed the CC list, so this will now go to the freebsd-pf mailing
>>> list instead.

>> Is it a copy-paste error or you forgot keep state in there?
>> It should look
>> pass in quick on $ext_if proto tcp from any to any port 22 flags S/SA \
>> keep state(max-src-conn 15, max-src-conn-rate 5/3, overload
>> <bruteforce> flush global)
>
> And here I thought "keep state" was the default in the pf shipped with
> FreeBSD 7.0....
>
> Actually, it is, as is "flags S/SA" on TCP connections.  Those defaults
> came in with the PF from OpenBSD 4.1, which is what is used in FreeBSD 7.0.
>
> --Jon Radel

A number of people all stated (on this list and on questions-freebsd)
that it was because I was missing "keep state" from the directive. Sure
enough, when I added that it worked. I am curious why this particular
syntax is different from the default of "flags S/SA keep state" for the
rest of the connections. Is it only on FreeBSD?

Thank you for looking at this.

Peter Clark