FreeBSD PF 4.1 Inserts Flags S/SA Automatically to rules

Mark Pagulayan m.pagulayan at auckland.ac.nz
Wed May 14 22:46:47 UTC 2008

Hi Guys,

OS: FreeBSD 7.0-RELEASE

Please correct me if I am wrong that PF 4.1 in FreeBSD 7.0 automatically
inserts 'Flags S/SA' to rules?

The problem is that when it comes to this rule:

pass in quick on $int_if

after loading to pf

pass in quick on em0 flags S/SA keep state

The way I see this is that this rule would be applied to udp traffic as
well which will be dropped/blocked because flags only work for tcp and
this might be the cause of state-mismatches that I see in the table -

state-mismatch                  11577272           48.7/s

 How can we prevent pf from loading the flags S/SA in the rules
automatically?

Also what is the effect of this on the block rule?

'block in log on $ext_if all'

'block return out log on $ext_if all'

Cheers,

Mark