prioritizing outbound traffic from internal services

Thomas Kinsey thomas.kinsey at gmail.com
Mon Jun 9 23:00:05 UTC 2008

Hello List,

This is my first time, so be gentle.

I want to prioritize outbound traffic from an ssh server behind my pf box.
My ADSL connection is almost always flooded, so when I connect to the ssh
server from work, there is a lot of lag. Connections originating from the
lan hit the outbound queue on the external interface, and all goes well,
however packets from the externally initiated connection don't seem to be
being queued.

Is there any way to do this? I googled around a bit and found rules that did
something like this:

     altq on $ext priq bandwidth 350Kb queue { fast, slow }
        queue fast priority 7 priq(red)
        queue slow priority 1 priq(default red)

And then applied that to an INBOUND filter rule on the same interface, like
this:

     pass in on $ext proto tcp from any to ($ext) port 22 keep state queue
fast

But that doesn't seem to work for me.  Am I doing something wrong here?

The box running pf is a soekris net4521, running FreeBSD 6.3-RELEASE. Maybe
the older version of pf is relevant?

Thanks in advance,
TK