Limiting client bandwidth with PF

Walter Venable weaseal at gmail.com
Wed Jul 23 13:27:58 UTC 2008

Hi all, I'm having some trouble getting pf to do what I want.
I'm a newbie to pf, so I can't get my configuration quite right.

We have a 3Mb/1Mb connection and I want to limit my clients each to
128Kbps/64Kbps.

First things first, limit them to 128Kbps, but that isn't even working, as
clients are still maxing at 3Mbps:

$ cat /etc/pf.conf
int_if="rl0"
ext_if="nfe0"
int_net="192.168.2.0/24"

altq on $ext_if hfsc bandwidth 3Mb queue { clients }
queue clients bandwidth 128Kb hfsc ( default rio )
pass in quick log on $int_if proto tcp from $int_net to any \
 flags S/SA keep state queue clients

$ sudo pfctl -sq
queue root_nfe0 on nfe0 bandwidth 3Mb priority 0 {clients}
queue  clients on nfe0 bandwidth 128Kb hfsc( rio default )

Can anyone say why this isn't working?  More info about the network if you
need it:

Internet -- Router (192.168.1.1) -- (nfe0 @ 192.168.1.200 ) FreeBSD Gateway
(rl0 @ 192.168.2.1) -- switch -- Clients (192.168.2.0/24)