How does /dev/pf get created?

Gavin Spomer spomerg at cwu.EDU
Fri Jan 25 15:45:06 PST 2008

>>> Gary Palmer <gpalmer at freebsd.org> 01/25/08 2:41 PM >>>
>    Geez, I'm so embarrassed. This is the first time I've ever run dmesg. Lots of stuff in there; anything in particular I'm looking
>    for? I see "link_elf: symbol altq_remove undefined" 6 times at the end. Before that I see "pid 34320 (conftest), uid 0: exited
>    on signal 12 (core dumped)"... yikes, that doesn't sound good. I piped it all through grep for "pf" and didn't find anything.
Try doing kldload pf and looking at the end of /var/log/messages by doing
tail /var/log/messages
I suspect that if you compare the timestamp of when you ran kldload
and the timestamp in the messages logfile you'll find that the link_elf
errors are related to the kldload failure.  Or if you have multiple
xterms / command windows open, do

   Well, that was a fine guess but the timestamps of the log messages are much earlier in the day, very likely when I didn't
   have all the ALTQ schtuff in my kernel config.

Did you recompile the pf module to try and include
altq support?  altq_remove is only used if ALTQ is defined when
the module is built.
Gary

   Uh... I'm trying to think of a half-way intelligent response so my pride doesn't get clobbered too awfully much. So, I can
   compile the pf module alone, by itself? Where is it? I assume I use "make" somehow to do this? Sorry, it's Friday of a very
   long, stressful week for me and my brain is just about used up. Having trouble keeping up and groking all this.