How to set up a queue for each host in the network?

Guntis Bumburs guntis at rixtel.com
Wed Jan 9 03:37:09 PST 2008

On Wednesday 09 January 2008 02:16:43 P Bielecki wrote:
> Hi,
> Documentation is not clear how many queues you can set up and if it
> make sense to create queue for every host in /22 network at all.
> pf FAQ doesn't say anything about creating large number of queues and
> the way of  setting it up.
>
> I was hoping that configuration with HFSC would solve my issues but it
>didn't.
>
> In altq_cbq.h and altq_hfsc.h it I found
> CBQ_MAX_CLASSES 256
> HFSC_MAX_CLASSES  64
>
> So, what is the best way to share link in large LAN where users use p2p a
>lot?
>
> --
> Paul

Hi,

I have seen a lot of similar posts about queues and pf.
In PF there is no automagicly creating queues like in IPFW, so there is no
other way to do it differently than creating queue for each host.

I think that best solution is to use L2 switches where you can set speed
limits for each port. Drawback is that you cant set limit less than 1Mbit and
borrow from main queue. Good thing is that you can do ARP filtering on same
port. In my experience static arp on freebsd is easy to fool.

you can change CBQ_MAX_CLASSES to someting bigger but it will limit pf
performance

--
Best Regards,
Guntis