clientNatLookup: PF open failed: (13) Permission denied

Peter Maxwell peter at allicient.co.uk
Fri Dec 19 05:48:45 PST 2008

Hi Leslie,

The message you're getting is usually associated with the rule base
blocking an outbound connection - so check that you've opened all the
outbound ports that squid needs in your pf.conf.  Tip: you can use
tcpdump to see what's going on, the openbsd pf pages at
http://www.openbsd.org/faq/pf/logging.html will give an introduction
and there's lots of info on tcpdump around - note tcpdump is great for
testing purposes but don't use tcpdump on a production box (it's not
got a great security record and if you get the parameters wrong with
high load you can kill the box).

Transparent http proxing is basically where there is a rdr rule in
your pf config so that outbound port 80 connections (or 443 for that
matter) are forwarded to squid's inbound port and, if configured
properly, squid can then handle the request.  The reason its called
'transparent' is because the user's broswer doesn't need configuring
because pf redirects all http traffic - so to the browser it just
looks like a direct connection to the internet (with a few extra HTTP
headers).  There are several implications of this, if squid fails
(which it does a lot) then you don't get web browsing until you fix
squid; it forces use of the proxy; you can use any authentication
mechanisms with squid.  Personally, transparent proxying is more
trouble than its worth but your milage may vary.

Best wishes,

Peter