syn flood, tcpdump readings

Stefan Lambrev stefan.lambrev at moneybookers.com
Mon Aug 11 15:21:20 UTC 2008

Tom Huppi wrote:
> On 12:32 Thu 07 Aug     , David DeSimone wrote:

>> Tom Huppi <tomh at huppi.com> wrote:
>>
>>> Anyway, I am getting what I believe to be syn floods
>>> periodically.  They dwarf my production traffic and sometimes
>>> get close to producing as much bandwith as we are paying for.  A
>>> representative sample looks like so when viewed with tcpdump on
>>> my outward interface ('em1'):
>>>
>>> 21:36:53.870312 IP 125.21.176.19.x11 > 74.123.192.195.domain: S 27394048:27394048(0) win 16384
>>> 21:36:53.870319 IP 125.21.176.19.x11 > 74.123.192.204.domain: S 1793916928:1793916928(0) win 16384
>>>
>> Since you went to the trouble of obscuring the source IP, I presume that
>> the source IP is your IP.  So, these look like responses, i.e. outbound
>> traffic, not inbound, since they are sourced from your IP.  You can use
>> tcpdump's -e flag to be sure who is sending and who is receiving.
>>

> I obscured my own IP range which is the 74.nnn.nnn. one and it
> is a /24.  Interestingly most of the IP's on my side are ones
> where I have no host.
>
> The reason why is that I figured that if I myself were a
> semi-sophisticated cracker, I would look for targets of
> opertunity on the various mailing lists where one could identify
> both networks administered by newbie/part-time personel, and
> often a fair amount about the configuration of said :)
>
> The IP '125.21.176.19' is exactly as it appeared on my tcpdump.
> It shows as a telcom company in India in this case...usually
> it's some network company or another in China.
>
> My network looks like so:
>
>                                 -------------  em0  <---> internal range
>   Network Provider  <----> em1 | pf firewall |
>   (Internap)                    -------------  bce1 <---> dmz range
>

> I took the tcpdump output to indicate that Syn packets showing an Indian Origin were showing up addressed to (mainly non-existant) IP addresses within my /24 network.
>
> I'll look at 'tcpdump -e'.  Thanks for the hint!

If the syn flood comes from single IP you can just block traffic from it.
For every SYN packet you are sending SYN-ACK packet so yes the traffic
is in both ways.
Why you do not see it on tcpdump I duno.
In all cases you want to limit the max number of states that can be
created by a single source IP
and you want to limit the rate of new connections over a time interval.
- max-src-states
- max-src-conn-rate

Anyway if the incoming traffic "floods" your pipe this will not help,
but at least your firewall will work properly ;)

--

Best Wishes,
Stefan Lambrev