Why the old version of pf?

Max Laier max at love2party.net
Mon Aug 11 15:05:34 UTC 2008

On Monday 11 August 2008 16:13:15 Sam Fourman Jr. wrote:
> >> Just curious why FreeBSD 7 has to use an old version of pf? There's
> >> been so many improvements! I'd very much like to use the new IP range
> >> feature for instance, so I can reduce
>
> does anyone know how to find our what version of pf FreeBSD is currently
> using? a switch maybe?

Unfortunately, there is no simple mechanism to figure that out.  There is
documentation of __FreeBSD_version (aka sysctl kern.osreldate) mapping to pf
version in the porter's handbook:
http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/porters-handbook/freebsd-
versions.html

You can also check sysutils/pftop/Makefile for hints.

/"\  Best regards,                      | mlaier at freebsd.org