pf (+ relayd?) as lvs replacement

Mohacsi Janos mohacsi at niif.hu
Fri Apr 25 15:06:25 UTC 2008

On Fri, 25 Apr 2008, CZUCZY Gergely wrote:

> Hello,
>
> A somewhat similar can be achived using relayd, but this kind of load
> balancing shouldn't be done on L2/L3 level. This kind of load balancing
> should be done on Layer7 with some application level load balancers.
> That way you can also do more then this (like sanitizing the requests
> before they get to the actual servers).
>
> Some projects exists out there to do this, like pound[1], or also nginx has
> some features for this propose, and even apache2.2 is being extended into this
> direction.

Most of these projects don't have IPv6 support, whil pf has IPv6 support
builtin. We are using pf for load balancing HTTP for more than a years
now, successfully.

Best Regards,

Janos Mohacsi
Network Engineer, Research Associate, Head of Network Planning and Projects
NIIF/HUNGARNET, HUNGARY
Key 70EF9882: DEC2 C685 1ED4 C95A 145F  4300 6F64 7B00 70EF 9882