PF in FreeBSD 5.3 versus 6.x

Michael Conlen m at obmail.net
Sun Oct 14 18:55:19 PDT 2007

I am not using pfsync. I'm using a pair of foundry layer 7 switches
to do firewall load balancing.

I've since set optimization to aggressive and have seen a reduction
in packet loss.

One issue I've discovered is that mytraceroute 0.72 appears to be
buggy with respect to statistics so I can't trust the results for
standard deviation and mean response time. In particular the mean
response time tends towards the minimum response time over time
despite continuously higher numbers. Without an accurate mean there's
no good way to get a idea of the distribution using mytraceroute, and
I didn't use ping times before I made the switch. On the other hand
my NTP server getting time from across the firewalls does show
improvement in stability and jitter, and this tends to be the first
application that shows network problems for me. The NTP server is
tracking time to wtihin +300/-200 microseconds which is impossible
with a unstable network.

With the change the state table is running around 20k entries.

Do you know if these issues are present in the betas of 7.0, which I
understand is using pf 4.1?

--
Michael Conlen