How to set up a queue for each host in the network?

P Bielecki pawciobiel at gmail.com
Thu Nov 22 00:44:14 PST 2007

Hi all,

I share 2048Kbit SDSL line in a medium size network; every machine in
the network
have 256Kbit of bandwidth. (45 teacher's laptops + 19 * 19 pupil's PC's);

I use ipfw and dummynet (with NATd and proxy Squid) but decided to try
PF and ALTQ.

In the last year user's demands had grown up and now, understandably,
they want to have "faster internet". Unfortunately my budget is not
big enough to pay for leased line.

I need an advice on how to set up a queue for each host in the local
network so the host
can have 256Kbit queue and it could borrow bandwidth from its parent as well.

What would be the best way to set up a queue for each machine?
Is there are way that I could use "addr/masklen" with queues like I
used to do with
ipfw dummynet pipes?

I think I could parse dhcpd.conf and/or do a loop to create queue_list
with all IP addresses but is this the only way?

I understand that I can use list/table/macro to assigning traffic to a queue
 but can I use them for configuring queues too?

And last one, is it possible to specify how much the queue can borrow
from its parent?

Please let me know your thoughts.

Thanks in advance
Paul