pf, bridging, transparent proxy, dual gateways?

Andrew Thompson thompsa at freebsd.org
Fri May 18 01:16:49 UTC 2007

On Thu, May 17, 2007 at 05:25:35PM -0700, Kurt Buff wrote:
> All,
>
> Wondering if the following scenario at all rational/feasible:
>
> [fw-a]-------
>           [switch]---[freebsd]---[router]---[many subnets]
> [fw-b]-------
>
> Fw-a fronts our current T1, and that ties our other two offices
> together with IPSec, and is our main inbound mail feed.
>
> Fw-b is soon to be installed, and will front a new T1.
>
> The lines are not bonded - they come from different vendors.
>
> I'd like to forward all individual user traffic (HTTP/FTP/other) out
> of the second T1, perhaps with the use of Squid/Frox, leaving our
> intra-corporate traffic to go in/out the current T1, and also email.

The easiest why is to use the route-to option in pf. When you pass the
traffic from the internal network you mark which link it should go out.

pass in quick on $int_if route-to ($fw-a_if $fw-a_ip) ... (some criteria)
pass in quick on $int_if route-to ($fw-b_if $fw-b_ip) ... (other criteria)

If you are also accepting connections in from the internet then you may
want to look at the reply-to option.

regards,
Andrew