pf.os fingerprinting does not seem to load by default

Volker volker at vwsoft.com
Tue May 8 08:31:18 UTC 2007

Hi!

I think I've trapped into a bug with pf's fingerprinting.

While checking a modified ruleset with `pfctl -vvv -gnf ...' pfctl
told me it doesn't know anything about an OS fingerprint called
"Windows". I've checked with `pfctl -so' but all fingerprints have
been displayed (even Windows). I tried the same using "Windows XP" and
others but pfctl resisted to find these fingerprints.

As a last resort I tried an explicit 'set fingerprints "/etc/pf.os"'
and pfctl was happy.

According to pf.conf(5), pf loads the fingerprint database by default
from /etc/pf.os. Either the man page or pfctl's behavior is wrong. Can
please somebody check if time permits?

Thx,

Volker