PF and AD

Max Laier max at love2party.net
Fri May 4 18:29:09 UTC 2007

[ Please don't top post - it reverses the communication flow ]

On Friday 04 May 2007, Ricardo Benq wrote:
> > Ricardo Benq wrote:
> > >Hello.
> > >Is it possible to make filter rules that are based on Microsoft
> > > Active Directory users?
> > >Do I have to install samba/winbind? Are there tutorials?
> >
> > Short answer: no.
> > Longer answer: Not that I can really think off an example where that
> > would be of use. Can you provide more details as of your network
> > setup and what do you want to achieve? The moon is too cloudy today,
> > and so is our spiritual possibilities.
>
> Ok, Gregory, here it goes:
> In our network, all users are AD domain users that have access to
> services/networks restricted by AD groups.
> We already have a SQUID/Dansguardian that filter internet access for AD
> user/groups via ACLs for radio, video, messenger, etc. All Active
> Diretory users are authenticated on SQUID , using SAMBA/Winbind.
> What we want is to use PF to filter access to, say, DMZ servers and
> internet from internal network, based on user names and AD groups.

So you are interested to map host-ip to authenticated user on that host,
correct?  I think you should be able to produce a login script that
initiates an ssh connection to authpf, which in turn adds required rules
to the firewall.

Note that anything that relies on host-ip as a security feature is doomed.
Especially in LANs an IP is easily spoofed.  So unless you have a proxy
that can do further authentication, you can't be sure you get what you
ask for.

/"\  Best regards,                      | mlaier at freebsd.org