pf 4.1 Update available for testing

Eygene Ryabinkin rea-fbsd at codelabs.ru
Tue Jun 19 07:41:58 UTC 2007

Max, good day.

Sun, Jun 17, 2007 at 05:17:14PM +0200, Max Laier wrote:
> > I glanced over the new code and found that no changes were
> > introduced to the altq_subr.c.  And there was rather old issue
> > I found in April: non-initialised callback due to Nate Lawson's
> > changes in handling the changing CPU frequencies.
> >
> > Looks like it is still living in the code.  My original posting
> > is at
> >http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-current/2007-April/071652.html
> >
> > Could you please take a look?
>
> Are you saying that the patch in that mail fixes things for you?  I recall
> the discussion vaguely, but somehow dropped out of it - sorry.

Yes, the patch fixed the kernel crash for me.  Just tested on the
-CURRENT that is about a week old without my patch: it crashes.
The easiest way to test it is to start the machine without ALTQ
statements in the pf.conf, wait a while for the CPU frequency change
and then to enable ALTQ in the pf.conf.  The only needed statements
are the 'altq' for the acrtive interface, one does not need any
altq-related statements for the filtering rules.  This sequence
provokes the ALTQ's cpufreq handler to be invoked and the machclk_freq
to be initialized to some value.  When ALTQ will be enabled, the
callback won't be initialized.  And I am almost immediately catching
the kernel fault in the softclock, due to the bad callback.

With my patch the problem goes away.  Just checked ;))
--
Eygene