pf(4) + fetch(1) + http://ftp.gnu.org

Vlad GURDIGA gurdiga at gmail.com
Fri Jun 15 06:52:47 UTC 2007

Hello,

There is one strange thing going on with this combination. I saw this
many times by now: when fetch(1) is trying to download something from
http://ftp.gnu.org, it is hanging after a very small amount of data;
sometimes on 0%. After disabling pf(4), fetch(1) is not hanging any
more, so I guess that the problem is somewhere in my pf.conf. Here is
it:

---- pf.conf -- begin ---
ext_if  = "em0"
icmp_types="echoreq"

# don't filter on the loopback interface
set skip on lo0
set block-policy return

scrub all no-df random-id reassemble tcp

# setup a default deny policy
block all

# activate spoofing protection for the internal interface.
antispoof quick for lo0 inet

# pass tcp, udp, and icmp out on the external (Internet) interface.
# keep state on udp and icmp and modulate state on tcp.
pass in on $ext_if proto tcp from any to $ext_if port 65522 keep state

pass in inet proto icmp all icmp-type $icmp_types keep state
pass out on $ext_if proto tcp all modulate state flags S/SA
pass out on $ext_if proto {udp, icmp} all keep state
---- pf.conf -- end ---

Any idea what's wrong here?