PF error message looping on screen. System Locked.

Volker volker at vwsoft.com
Thu Jun 14 15:20:34 UTC 2007

[re-added cc:pf to have a wider audience, please keep this]

On 06/14/07 16:21, Roger Miranda wrote:
>> I remember a discussion about your machine in stable@ some time ago.
> Yes.  I have come a bit further.  Generally I would get nothing on the screen.
> I just started getting this.
>
>>> We have transfered 150GB (+/-)
>> Using sftp, ftp, http or ...?
> http / NFS / SMB
>> Are you by any chance being able to get a photopicture (with fast
>> shutter time) of the debug messages? Do you have anything in
>> /var/log/debug.log /var/log/messages which might be useful?
>
> I do not have nothing with that fast of a shutter.  I looked in the logs the
> message the loops is not there.  But I did find the follwoing:
>
> Jun 13 10:22:32  kernel: pf: dropping packet with ip options
> Jun 13 10:22:33  last message repeated 5 times

Roger,

I don't think this message is related to your trouble. I think you can
also avoid these messages by adding 'no scrub' to your pf.conf (I'm
currently not aware of any side effects by adding this).

Probably Max has some more suggestions on not scrubbing packets.

You should get a debugger into your kernel (like Max suggested) and
probably also use `pfctl -x loud' or `pfctl -x misc' to get more
messages out of pf. If these messages are popping up again, break the
system into the debugger and look for the messages (using 'scroll
lock' to scroll back some pages), ps and a backtrace.

HTH

Volker