USER/GROUP rules on the chopping Block [ Re: Panic on boot with April 16 src (lengthy info attached) ]

Volker volker at vwsoft.com
Wed Jun 6 16:11:49 UTC 2007

On 06/06/07 16:29, Max Laier wrote:
> After several attempts to fix user/group rules which ended like the most
> recent one - cited below - with *ZERO* feedback, I won't waste anymore
> effort.  Either somebody steps up, does proper testing and reports back,
> or user/group rules go!  End of story!
>
> This is not personal against Tillman - he just happend to be the most
> recent one to hit the problem.
>
> On Wednesday 18 April 2007, Tillman Hodgson wrote:
>>> Actually, could you test this?  It should enable the hack on the fly
>>> as a user/group rule is added.  See "sysctl debug.pfugidhack" or
>>> "pfctl -x misc" to confirm it's on.
>> Sure, I've restarted the build with this patch.
>
> and again ... the thread ends here - zero feedback received :-(  Does
> anyone care about user/group rules at all?  If so - speak up now or I'll
> just disable them with the upcoming update!!!

Max,

despite the fact I'm lacking a lot of your responses, I really do
understand the fact that you're pissed about doing something but not
getting responses. And I really appreciate your work!

I wasn't aware of the fact that user/group rules have been discussed
in detail (I must have missed that topic somehow or it hasn't happened
in pf@). To your question, I do care about that topic, I'm able to to
beta tests and check things out. Also I do have the machines to check
things in a safe environment, if needed.

If you have something to checkout, I will be happy to check it out and
feed back to you (if you're talking to me... again, I haven't received
any responses for weeks from you). If you still care about user/group
based rules, keep me up to date (I'm not on current@) and I'll beta
test for you and give you any needed feed back.

>From my view, the response issue can somewhat been seen as the core
team sitting on an island and the user base is far, far away of them.

Volker