pf(4) status in 7.0-R

Dag-Erling Smørgrav des at des.no
Wed Jun 6 11:51:41 UTC 2007

Max Laier <max at love2party.net> writes:
> Dag-Erling Smørgrav <des at des.no> writes:
> > Convenient and portable, but buggy as hell - we used it in Varnish to
> > begin with but had to ditch it due to a combination of design flaws and
> > bugs.  It also suffers from creeping featuritis - the latest version
> > includes a DNS resolver and a full HTTP implementation...  it's only a
> > matter of time before it grows a lisp interpreter and a mail reader.
> hmmm ... okay, didn't know that.  But what do you suggest as an
> alternative?  I certainly won't reinvent the wheel for the libevent
> calls in ftp-proxy.  Importing libevent code private to ftp-proxy
> seems equally wrong.  So the alternatives - to me at least - are
> either importing libevent or leaveing ftp-proxy in ports.  Pick your
> poison.

I suggest importing libevent (or a subset of it) as an internal library,
i.e. define INTERNALLIB in the Makefile so we get a libevent.a which
ftp-proxy can link against but which isn't installed.  Alternatively, we
can import a subset of libevent and name it something else (like we did
with expat -> bsdxml)

DES
Dag-Erling Smørgrav - des at des.no