ALTQ support for usb NICs?

Volker volker at vwsoft.com
Sun Jan 28 10:27:05 UTC 2007

Max,

On 01/28/07 01:53, Max Laier wrote:
> On Saturday 27 January 2007 15:54, Volker wrote:
>> I'm wondering about the following: Are there any technical reasons
>> for not having ALTQ support for most (all?) usb NICs?
>>
>> Or did just too less people ask for it?
>
> The latter ... I believe there are just very few usb NICs in routers ;)
> OTOH, converting a driver is a 10 lines diff.  Look at
> http://people.freebsd.org/~mlaier/ALTQ_driver/ and if you can't figure it
> our yourself, let me know which one you'd like to test and I can come up
> with the patch.

thanks for your response.

Well, I think they're not really common in routers but as PCI slots
are becoming more and more a limited resource, more people will use
an usb NIC to attach their DSL lines or attach new subnets.

On my SoHo Server I'm using one for the DSL line and one for
attaching an open WLAN AP on a permanent basis. Also using them a
lot for testing purposes.

Anyway, I've already checked altq(9) which describes the driver
transition and I thought about patching the drivers myself.

I've got a bunch of aue, one kue and a few currently unsupported NICs.

So are you going to patch these drivers or may I do it and will you
commit the changes to cvs if that works out?

Greetings,

Volker