pf starts, but no rules

Dan Langille dan at langille.org
Sat Feb 10 21:36:19 UTC 2007

Hi folks,

Yesterday I rebooted a server to load a new kernel.  After the
reboot, the firewall rules were not loaded.

$ grep pf /etc/rc.conf
pf_enable="YES"
pflog_enable="YES"
pf_rules="/etc/pf.rules"

I never checked for the rules until today and found this:

[dan at nyi:~] $ sudo pfctl -sa | less
Password:
No ALTQ support in kernel
ALTQ related functions disabled
FILTER RULES:

INFO:

Hostid: 0x36eae8cf

State Table                          Total             Rate
  current entries                        0
  searches                         5515422           76.6/s

etc...

[dan at nyi:~] $ sudo pfctl -f /etc/pf.rules
No ALTQ support in kernel
ALTQ related functions disabled
[dan at nyi:~] $

After loading, pfctl -sa shows the output I would expect.

Ideas?  Suggestions?

Is anyone else using PF with a pf_rules specified?

FWIW, I notice I have one host identified by FQDN in my rules.

--
Dan Langille : Software Developer looking for work
my resume: http://www.freebsddiary.org/dan_langille.php