PF & Windows Vista

Daniel Hartmeier daniel at benzedrine.cx
Fri Feb 9 18:13:52 UTC 2007

On Wed, Feb 07, 2007 at 10:24:57AM -0500, Kevin K. wrote:

> I was hoping that the issue was simple and common, due to Vista's emphasis
> on ipv6 among other networking issues. Either way, below is my entire pf
> configuration.  I hope it helps.

I'm afraid you'll have to do the usual debug routine:

  1) enable debug logging (pfctl -xm, output in /var/log/messages)
  2) run pfctl -si and store the output
  3) pick one external host that reliably reproduces the problem
  4) on the external interface, run
       tcpdump -s 1600 -nvvvSpi $ext_if host $ip and tcp
  5) reproduce the problem once, from initial SYN to the point where
     the connection fails
  6) run pfctl -vvss, and note any state entries related to the
     failed connection
  7) re-run pfctl -si and store the output (of interest are any counters
     increasing besides the obvious ones)
  8) check /var/log/messages for any output from pf (related to the
     failed connection, or at least the host $ip)

If you provide the output of those steps, that could narrow it down.

In case the results are too large, put them on a web page somehwere
and post the URL instead.

Daniel