"The Book of PF" exists, physical copies documented

Peter N. M. Hansteen peter at bsdly.net
Wed Dec 19 07:16:57 PST 2007

Dear friends,

I have just taken delivery of my box of /The Book of PF/[1] author's
copies, and I'm finding I'm a bit at a loss for words when it comes to
describing the feeling.  The thing exists.  And it feels great to
finally see the thing for real. (OK, I cheated a bit and had five
copies printed locally for OpenCON[2], but these are the real ones,
slightly different binding)

We didn't manage to release the book the same date as OpenBSD 4.2
(yes, that was the original plan), but the thing has been written,
printed and should be on its way to all those who preordred as well as
to better bookshops everywhere.  I'm not directly involved in
distribution and can not make any guarantees about when you'll get
yours (a slightly more experienced author has written an explanation
of that[3] - only this one was printed in Ann Arbor, Michigan, USA),
but even if it's late for the holidays I hope you'll enjoy your copy
and find the book useful.

Now of course the usual factors interfered even with the author
copies.  There is a thing about courier companies and 18th century
buildings.  Even faced with a relatively small one such as the one I
live in, DHL managed to make two attempts at delivery at the disused
entrance clearly marked 'deliveries at the other door please', so the
delivery finally happened at my office - also located in a 18th
century building, but at least one where the DHL people have been
before. But it finally arrived and life's good :)

One interesting factoid (fsvo) is that this happened within hours of
the twenty-five thousandth unique visitor (since EuroBSDCon 2006 that
is) hitting the book's predecessor, the online PF tutorial[4].

So happy hacking holidays everyone,

[1] http://nostarch.com/pf.htm, also see http://www.bsdly.net/~peter/freshbooks.jpg
    or (slightly faster) http://home.nuug.no/~peter/freshbooks.jpg
[2] http://www.undeadly.org/cgi?action=article&sid=20071207191612
    - that's me completely obscured at the back to the right in
    the third picture (ok, I'm in a few others ;))
[3] http://marc.info/?l=openbsd-misc&m=105723966516199&w=2
[4] http://home.nuug.no/~peter/pf/
http://bsdly.blogspot.com/ http://www.datadok.no/ http://www.nuug.no/