bandwidth limiting per ip with PF and ALTQ

Jon Simola jsimola at gmail.com
Tue Apr 24 16:19:36 UTC 2007

On 4/24/07, Volker <volker at vwsoft.com> wrote:

> Having a queue
> with a guaranteed bandwidth for every connection (client) would
> require the creation of "dynamic queues" on the fly. I'm not aware of
> such possibility.

ipfw with dummynet could do this. Very interesting feature. See DUMMYNET
(specifically the mask option) in ipfw(8):

"whereas when dynamic queues are used, each flow will share the
parent's pipe bandwidth evenly with other flows generated by the
same queue"

The only way I can think of doing something similar in PF would be randomly
assigning to one of N queues, like:

pass out on $ext_if queue q1 probability 33%
pass out on $ext_if queue q2 probability 50%
pass out on $ext_if queue q3

--
Jon