pf fails to start

KES kes-kes at yandex.ru
Thu Sep 7 06:00:03 PDT 2006

Hello

pf fails to start if interface doesnt exist or IP address not assigned

I have trobles with tun0 (pppeo connection)

Look at next picture:

1) power fail,
2) FreeBSD starting,
3) do pppoe connection to provider
3.a) pppoe fail (ISP has some problem)
4) pf starts and fails =((
5) FreeBSD fall to infinit loop (I have wait 15minutes and then pressCTRL+C)

Copy of console messages:
pflog promiscios
pf enabled
pflog: here some message (I don't remember)

some experements:

kes# ps ax|grep ppp
  357  ??  Ss     0:18.88 /usr/sbin/ppp -ddial -unit1 adsl
  373  ??  Rs    46:53.56 /usr/sbin/ppp -dedicated -quiet -unit0 leased
47226  p2  DL+    0:00.00 grep ppp

#KILL pppoe connection
kes# kill -9  373
kes# kill -9 373
373: No such process

#Reload pf.conf
kes# pfctl -f /etc/pf.conf
no IP address found for tun0
/etc/pf.conf:48: could not parse host specification
no IP address found for tun0
/etc/pf.conf:66: could not parse host specification
no IP address found for tun0
/etc/pf.conf:100: could not parse host specification
no IP address found for tun0
/etc/pf.conf:101: could not parse host specification
pfctl: Syntax error in config file: pf rules not loaded

#start pppoe
kes#  /usr/sbin/ppp -dedicated -quiet -unit0 leased
kes# pfctl -f /etc/pf.conf

#no errors here.
kes#

So I have no "Syntax error in config file"

TO authur of pf:
You must change behavior of pf like ipfw does.
ipfw only do warning messages in situations like this.

 KES                          mailto:kes-kes at yandex.ru