rate limit with pf instead of IPFW

Jon Simola jsimola at gmail.com
Thu Nov 23 19:14:29 UTC 2006

On 11/23/06, John Smith <almarrie at gmail.com> wrote:
> > > Could someone please give me full example to setup
> > > limit {src-addr | src-port | dst-addr | dst-port} to do what IPFW
> > > 01000 allow tcp from any to me setup limit src-addr 5 currently does

> Could you please post your pf.conf with the rules so I can use it as a guide?

A complete and working pf.conf that limits all inbound tcp connections
to 5 per source ip address would be:

pass in proto tcp all flags S/SA keep state (source-track rule,
max-src-states 5)

Yes, just that one line. Obviously you need some more rules around
that, and the PF User's Guide at
http://www.openbsd.org/faq/pf/index.html will do a far better job of
explaining it than I could in a short email.

--
Jon