rate limit with pf instead of IPFW

John Smith almarrie at gmail.com
Thu Nov 23 18:47:29 UTC 2006

Greetings BPF gurus!

I have this rule in IPFW

01000 allow tcp from any to me setup limit src-addr 5

This rule as you know doesn't allow more than 5 connections per ip to
connect to my server in same time.

The problem with the IPFW, it doesn't allow me to set it with seconds,
so what I need to do is to prevent an IP to connect to my server IP in
same time in less than 3 secs.

I'm new to bpf and I don't know how to create such rule.

The man doesn't have enuf information with real example :(

So could someone give me an example with bpf does the same job as IPFW
plus using rate limit by secs?

I know this rule

"limit {src-addr | src-port | dst-addr | dst-port}"

But I need to set it globaly for all world IPs.

Could someone please give me full example to setup
limit {src-addr | src-port | dst-addr | dst-port} to do what IPFW
01000 allow tcp from any to me setup limit src-addr 5 currently does

I remain thanking you!

-J