Stranger addresses

Travis H. solinym at gmail.com
Sun May 7 21:51:46 UTC 2006

On 5/7/06, Louis Kowolowski <louisk at cryptomonkeys.com> wrote:
> > I have some windows machine in my LAN, but I'd like to
> > stop these packages on my network. I don't have DHCP.

Are you saying that no machine on your LAN supports DHCP?

I don't believe it.

It's the default during installation for most OSes since it's simpler.

> > > If you're not using that subnet, then it's nbt
> > > broadcast chatter.

Yes, thats RFC 1918 class B addresses,
ports 137 and 138 (Windows SMB traffic).

To get rid of them, disable NetBIOS over TCP/IP in the windows client with
the IPv4 address 172.16.125.

You should also see a lot of 172.16.255.255 (subnet-directed
broadcast), because SMB is almost totally dependent on broadcasts. I
find it very annoying.

They are NOT IPv6 packets.
--
"Curiousity killed the cat, but for a while I was a suspect" -- Steven Wright
Security Guru for Hire http://www.lightconsulting.com/~travis/ -><-