Traffic mysteriously dropping

Greg Hennessy Greg.Hennessy at nviz.net
Fri Mar 31 14:40:20 UTC 2006

> I thought the most current recommendations were not to use
> polling?  I thought this was something handled by most new hardware?

I would use polling in any situation with the likelyhood of a high packet
rate, its integrated directly in the em NIC drivers as of 6.x and works a
treat through ifconfig.

> Altq is compiled in on this machine also, however, when not
> being used, I see the same result.  I've seen many stories of
> 600Meg/sec+, however, up until now, I have not been able to
> accomplish it.

Hmmm, that sounds like a policy issue, 5.4 and em's iperf at > 900 meg/sec.

What speed processor is driving this ? I assume you're using PCI-X
everywhere.

> I have switched this back he default.  I get the same
> result.  If I move the rule even 1 or 2 down in the list,
> traffic starts dropping on the http connections.  I will
> leave it this way though.

Hmmm, that sounds more and more like a state mismatch issue.

What is your default block rule catching ? It should give you an idea pretty
quick regarding state mismatches due to overlapping rules.

I assume your 1st rule is

block log all

If not, it should be.

> >Are all your stateful tcp rules using flags S/SA to establish state ?
> >

> Not all of the rules are stateful, but the ones that are just
> use the "keep state" directive, they are not using S/SA.  Is
> this the recommended method?

Definitely, Daniel H has recently described the reasons why creating tcp
state on anything other than S/SA is a bad idea, especially with TCP window
scaling.

> I have read many of the
> examples and docs, and it appears this  is done both ways
> depending on where you read it.

Personally I would use flags S/SA for all stateful tcp rules.

> We have a lot of smtp traffic sometimes, so for those times,
> we have bumped up the state limit, however, at times like my
> testing last night, there were between 4000 and 5000 states,
> a few hundred at a time would be my testing.

It may be worth using something like cricket to track the amount of state
table entries.

> >With nearly 400 firewall rules, I would suggest that there's
> scope for
> >reviewing order and the judicious use of quick to trim the
> policy into
> >something more manageable.
> >

> Well, this is something that was inherited, and therefore is
> taking much time to fix, however, the rules will be trimmed.
> I've already made extensive use of tables, and
> re-ordered/trimmed certain unnecessary things.

If you havent done so already, start using tags in conjunction with generic
egress rules on each interface. This will reduce the rulebase in size a lot.

Greg