include files

Bradley W. Dutton brad-fbsd-pf at duttonbros.com
Thu Mar 30 19:33:32 UTC 2006

Hi,

I have 2 routers/firewalls setup with carp/pfsync that keep the network
going with the same pf.conf. Unfortunately the hardware in these boxes is
slightly different so the NICs have different names (em/sis/dc/etc). I
have macros defined at the top of pf.conf for the NICs but I still have to
change the macros each time I copy pf.conf from one box to the other. The
OpenBSD PF page (http://www.openbsd.org/faq/pf/shortcuts.html) alludes to
this scenario but I was wondering if there is a way to include more than
one conf file? It would be nice to have one file contain the macros and
the other contain all of the rules/queues/etc.

What have others done in this scenario? Should I create a pf.conf template
file and a script that swaps in the NIC names and copies the files to each
of the boxes?

Thanks for your time,
Brad