authpf not working

Sven Meier smeier at eee.strath.ac.uk
Wed Mar 15 20:11:35 UTC 2006

Hello pf experts,

I'm running pf on FreeBSD 6.0-STABLE.  PF itself works fine, but I
cannot get authpf to work.  It used to work and after a reinstall
(and upgrade to the 6 branch) I copied all the config files back into
their places and now the magic is gone.

I have placed the relevant anchors in my /etc/pf.conf (anchor "authpf/
*" and so on) file and created the user files in /etc/authpf/users/.
When sshing in as an authpf user, I get the following error on the
client machine.  The server shows just the authpf exited abnormally.

pfctl: /dev/fd/4: No such file or directory
Unable to modify filters
Connection to XXX.XXX.XXX.XXX closed.

I have placed the appropriate permissions on /var/authpf/.

The machine runs a custom kernel to enable pf.  The lines I added are
as follows - all taken from the handbook.

device          pf
device          pflog
device          pfsync
options         ALTQ
options         ALTQ_CBQ
options         ALTQ_RED
options         ALTQ_RIO
options         ALTQ_HFSC
options         ALTQ_CDNR
options         ALTQ_PRIQ

Can anyone point me in the right direction on how to fix this.

Sven.