Any ongoing effort to port /etc/rc.d/pf_boot, /etc/pf.boot.conf from NetBSD ?

Simon L. Nielsen simon at nitro.dk
Mon Jul 17 12:21:43 UTC 2006

On 2006.07.16 20:23:15 +0200, Daniel Hartmeier wrote:

> The "hole" being discussed is the time, during boot, before pf is fully
> functional with the production ruleset. For a comparatively long time,
> the pf module isn't even loaded yet. The time after module load and
> enabling pf with the production ruleset is much smaller.
>
> So, you first need to check the boot sequence for
>
>   - interfaces being brought up before pf is loaded
>   - addresses assigned to those interfaces
>   - daemons starting and listening on those addresses
>   - route table getting set up
>   - IP forwarding getting enabled
>   - etc.

Since nobody else seems to have actually done this, I took a look at
FreeBSD's rcorder (on my -CURRENT laptop) and actually I don't really
see a hole.  Most importantly pf is enabled before routing.

Personally I would still like a default to deny knob, but that's
mainly to handle the case of an invalid ruleset which causes pf to be
left open.  Yes, this is only a problem when the admin screws up, but
it happens...

(I have been looking at a rc.conf know which would only enable
routing/forwarding if pf was properly enabled with a configured
ruleset, but I haven't gotten around to finishing that.)

# rcorder -s nostart /etc/rc.d/*
/etc/rc.d/dumpon
/etc/rc.d/initrandom
/etc/rc.d/geli