Any ongoing effort to port /etc/rc.d/pf_boot, /etc/pf.boot.conf from NetBSD ?

Ari Suutari ari at suutari.iki.fi
Sun Jul 16 20:30:54 UTC 2006

Hi,

Andrew Thompson wrote:

>> 	On FreeBSD 6.1, run rcorder /etc/rc.d/*. You'll notice that
>> 	pf is run after netif so if one is using only pf as firewall,
>> 	there is a window between run of "netif" and "pf" where network
>> 	interfaces are up but there is no firewall loaded. Adding
>> 	pf_boot, which runs before "netif" would fix this, woudn't it ?
>
> But.. pf runs before any userland daemons are loaded so how does it
> matter if there is a short window between netif and pf if nothing is
> listening?

	I wasn't thinking about firewall itself, but the network it
	protects. But now I notice that routing is run *after* pf
	so things should be ok ?

	Sorry to be such a pain but I have tried asking about this
	many times but got no good answers (and I got even more worried
	when I noticed that NetBSD had special boot-time ruleset).

	I guess this is case closed then!

		Ari S.