Multiple DSL lines, load sharing / shaping

Sten Daniel Sørsdal lists at wm-access.no
Wed Jan 18 04:42:21 PST 2006

Moving to private only.

>> Is it even possible in PF?
>
> I have no idea ;-)

I don't think it is.

>> Are you talking about a webserver on your end and IP1 meaning an user
>> from the internet? Or the other way around?
>
> No sorry the other way around. IP1 is one of our lines, and by web
> server I mean any webserver on the internet.
>
>> And are you using NAT?
>
> Yes. I was hoping to implement a round-robin NAT as described by another
> reply to my original post. Providing it all works as I would like it to.

Aha! Then you should instead either prefer to use PF or IPFW fwd with
keep-state. What you need is to make sure all traffic from one session
leaves the right pipe. I mentioned that NAT breaks packet perfect
forwarding.

>> That can be accomplished if you want.
>> What do you prefer? "packet perfect" forwarding for maximum throughput
>> on your uploads or stream friendly balancing - and perhaps better
>> overall performance - for many users?
>
> Better overall performance for end users. There is a network of 30
> workstations, all in active use about 16hrs of each day.

I'd say PF or IPFW with fwd + keepstate will be the way you want to go.
Not the way i initially mentioned.

>> Have you ever considered multilink ppp?
>
> multilink ppp? hmm that is definately something I may have to look into.
> Infact from memory of waht I know about it, it could possibly be exactly
> what I am looking for.
> Do you have much experience with multilink ppp that you could pass on
> before I jump in blindfolded and bring my whole network down? ;-)

Not really.

--
Sten Daniel Sørsdal