Multiple DSL lines, load sharing / shaping

Sten Daniel Sørsdal lists at wm-access.no
Wed Jan 18 02:17:07 PST 2006

Josh Finlay wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Took a good look at that link, sounds like it might do the trick.
>
> However I am curious about something...
> We have 5x 512kbps SDSL lines.
> Totalling 2560kbps.
> Is there any possible way to "bind" these lines together to make use of
> a full 2560kbps at once? Because with the round-robin method, it will
> pick a random address from the pool (in this case, one of the 5 lines)
> and utilize that which will only achieve 512kbps at a maximum. I have
> heard of extremely expensive cisco solutions to do similar to this, but

I used ipfw's "fwd" with "prob" to max out 2 x 2mbit lines back when
v4.8/9/10 was released . It takes some effort to get Just Right (tm) but
it can be done.

Tips: Do not use keep-state on the fwd rules (infact you might want to
try to avoid ipfw for the actual filtering), NAT or multiple providers
breaks things too. I had to avoid using fast-forwarding but this might
be better now.

> we've already forked out enough on hardware and connections so we're
> trying to do this part a bit cheaper.

Oh haven't we all, that's why we started saving up for the luxury of
testing configurations before rolling them, even with something so
comfortably flexible as FreeBSD. :P~~

--
Sten Daniel Sørsdal