reply-to doesn't seem to work

Vlad GALU vladgalu at gmail.com
Fri Feb 24 16:48:23 PST 2006

   I have a machine with two interfaces. On one of them there is a
webserver listening for client connections. The machine's default
route is through the other interface.
   Let's assume the interfaces are called if1, if2 and that the
webserver is listening on if2.
   I have a rule like this:
    pass in quick on $if2 reply-to ($if2 $if2gw) inet proto tcp from
any to ($if2) port = 80 flags S/SA keep state.
  The replies should leave the box through if2, right ? Well, they
don't. I had to add a rule like this:
   pass out quick on $if1 route-to ($if2 $if2gw) inet from ($if2) to any

   I can see the reply-to rule creating states, and yet it doesn't
work as advertised. Ideas, anybody ?

--
If it's there, and you can see it, it's real.
If it's not there, and you can see it, it's virtual.