PF problems with freebsd versions 6.0/6.1 and now with 6.2-PRERELEASE

Jordan Ostreff jordan at ostreff.info
Wed Dec 20 08:23:40 PST 2006

Dear Sirs,
I'm writing this email because I believe that you really try to make
FreeBSD - best free and open source operating system in the world.

My problem today was with very simple installation with web server
(apache-2.2.3/mysql-5.0/php4.4.2) and GENERIC kernel on machine amd64. I
have enabled pf and pflog via rc.conf so on boot machine loads kernel
modules. I have installed port named http_load on another machine in the
same lan segment. When I have started http_load -parallel 1000 -seconds
600 some_url_on_machine_with_pf I see that machine with PF quickly goes
inaccessible and I see on his console that system is totally freeze.

I have problems with similar configuration in following cases:
a) GENERIC kernel amd 64 SMP 6.1-RELEASE and 6.2-PRERELEASE
b) pf build into kernel on i386 SMP and non-SMP, 6.0-R-p16 and 6.1-RELEASE
c) pf without ALTQ into kernel on i386 SMP and non-SMP 6.0-RELEASE-p16

Today I have switched firewalls on all those systems to IPFW and it works!

Please if you are interested in this case I can provide more specific
information and also configuration files!

Regards Jordan