What Do These Devices Do?

Travis H. solinym at gmail.com
Sat Aug 12 09:46:40 UTC 2006

On 8/11/06, beno <zope at 2012.vi> wrote:
> * Through what device do such services as email, tcp, http, udp and icpm
> access my box

Through whatever one the last hop gave them as the destination for
your machine.  That's called routing.

> through which do they leave and which (if any) are used
> for internal communication?

Internal to the box, they go out over lo0.  It is safe to leave that
interface unfiltered.

> * Also would help, what is fxp0 *traditionally* used for?

It's an ethernet card, so people use it to network computers together.

Save yourself getting hacked; read the O'Reilly's book on Internet
Firewalls.  Or contract me to write your rules :-)
Unix "guru" for rent or hire -><- http://www.lightconsulting.com/~travis/
GPG fingerprint: 9D3F 395A DAC5 5CCC 9066  151D 0A6B 4098 0C55 1484