nat / rdr timeouts?

Stephane Raimbault segr at hotmail.com
Tue Mar 8 05:08:07 GMT 2005

Okay, a bit of a Summary.

I was originally running ab on a 4.9 system... however, it seems like there
was a problem with that as mentioned by Max.  I ran ab from a 5.2.1 system
and didn't have any problems.  I could rack up the connections till I ran up
to 10K states since that limit is set to that.  so no problem there.  I even
cvsup'd back to 5.3-RELEASE-p5 and still no problems.

So there is no problem according to my benchmark test....  This still goes
back to why I originally was doing this....

I'm currently running 4.9 + natd doing something similar with port 80.  I
have no problems, however load on the box is quite a bit more then I like.
5.3 + pf seems to be the solution as the load is much lower during my
testing... Some time ago I had tried 5.3 + pf in the production environment,
however  a few users were getting time outs to port 80... and it seemed like
these few were behind corportate firewalls, where a few users were accessing
the site at the same time from behind the same IP.  This led me to my ab
test which "seemed" to duplicate the problem.

I'm at a loss now... the only thing I can think of is testing 5.3+pf in the
production environment and see what happens... does anyone have any
thoughts?

Thanks,
Stephane.