nat / rdr timeouts?

Stephane Raimbault segr at hotmail.com
Sat Mar 5 19:00:01 GMT 2005

I have a box running  FreeBSD 5.3-RELEASE-p5 and I'm running at nat and
redirecting port 80 traffic to a couple internal servers.

I was running some benchmarks with the apache ab tool and discovered a
couple problems popping up.

I could run the ab benchmark with the following options no problem:

ab -c 5 -n 50 http://<ext ip of nat box>/host.html

however as soon as I put the concurrency to 1...

ab -c 1 -n 50 http://<ext ip of nat box>/host.html

It would inconsistently start blocking and timing out with this error:

apr_poll: The timeout specified has expired (70007)
Total of 46 requests completed

When I noctice that ab gets' hung up... running this pfctl -F state  on the
nat box seems to fix the problem and ab completes it's test

this leads me to guess that something in pf is causing this block to occur
based on the states?  Possibly to prevent a DoS?  Does anyone know what is
causing this and if it's a tunable value.

here is the pf rules I have for this test.

------------------------

ext_if="em1"
int_net="10.0.11.0/27"
web_servers = "{ 10.0.11.16,10.0.11.17 }"

nat on $ext_if from $int_net to any -> ($ext_if)

rdr on $ext_if proto tcp from any to any port 80 -> $web_servers round-robin

The problem is also there when I only have one web_servers set instead of 2.

Any thougths/ideas are welcome.

Thank you,
Stephane.

to offer.