Fwd: pf + pfsync + carp testing ...

Matthew Grooms mgrooms at seton.org
Tue Mar 1 18:08:25 GMT 2005

Thanks Max and Gleb. You have been a great help. The patch applied
cleanly and compiled fine. After configuring a few carp interfaces, they
seem to fail over well. I am curious though, is CARP designed to have
interfaces fail over individually or as a group?

For example ...

box1 & box2

em0 -> carp0 -> External
em1 -> carp1 -> Internal
em2 -> carp2 -> DMZ

If box1 is master for all interfaces when then its em2 goes down, only
carp2 on box2 becomes master and assumes the service address? Box1 is
still master for carp0 and carp1. Doesn't this cause problems when
traffic passes in carp0 ( still master on box1 ) and needs to be
forwarded out carp2?

Also, when I configure a carp interface on the command line I do
something like ...

ifconfig carp0 create 192.168.253.1 \
  netmask 255.255.255.0 vhid 1 advskew 1

but when I place the equivalent line in rc.conf as ...

ifconfig_carp0="create 192.168.253.1 \
  netmask 255.255.255.0 vhid 1 advskew 1"

and reboot the box, it does not seem to take. Any suggestions?

Matthew Grooms
Network Engineer
Seton Healthcare Network
mgrooms at seton.org