PF & BLOCK MP3 (AVI)

alex-bsd alex-bsd at yandex.ru
Thu Jul 14 19:11:31 GMT 2005

Sorry previous messages is incorrect (I had in mind downloading files)

Hello Daniel,
Most likely, we not absolutely understand each other.
I would be very glad if there was an opportunity to add in PF feature which possesses IPTABLES.
On a gateway for a local network in rules of firewall it is possible to add a following line:
-A FORWARD -s 192.168.x.x -p tcp -m string --string ".mp3" -j DROP
If the internal client of this network requests a resource with name containing ".mp3" he will not receive the answer (www.mp3.com, www.music.com/Mozart.mp3, etc.).
Accordingly similar is possible to make with words "porno" "avi" and etc.
I do not consider that it is 100 % protection against downloading (from internet) by users mp3 files.
Certainly, there are ways for detour of similar interdictions created both by proxy-servers and by firewall.
However in most cases this rule will be enough.

I do not see sense in the bet offered by you as there is a talk a little about other!
Certainly, clever and talented person as you are will find a way to bypass interdiction!!!

P.S. If for any reasons, it is not possible to do so, "c'est la vie"

Best regards Alex