PF & BLOCK MP3 (AVI)

Greg Hennessy Greg.Hennessy at nviz.net
Sun Jul 10 12:06:47 GMT 2005

> > Indeed, many commercial firewall vendors offer content
> inspection in their products because customers want to buy it.
> Unfortunately, I do not know similar let and commercial
> realizations similar let under BSD, capable to filter content
> on FIREWALLS.

That's because you havent looked hard enough.

> On Linux in IPTABLES it is remarkable works, and I do not see
> the global reasons why on BSD in PF it cannot be realized,
> even in the form of a patch or something similar?!??!

It doesn't 'work' period, pattern matching on a packet by packet basis is a
complete waste of time unless the pattern matching algorithms do full
reassembly and are application aware. Which is exactly what Content
Inspection/Fixups in commercial firewall products do.  (some better than
others mind you)

> P.S. It is insulting, that I has answered a question only my
> compatriot, and developers led by Daniel Hartmeier it have ignored: (.

That's because running Regex against each packet is a daft idea, a
performance killer and a self inflicted DOS attack waiting to happen.

5 minutes googling provides far superior & scalable solutions which can
dynamically update PF tables to kill unauthorised traffic.

Such as.

http://www.snortsam.net/index.html

Greg