Firewall concepts

Will Maier willmaier at ml1.net
Thu Dec 8 09:24:35 PST 2005

On Thu, Dec 08, 2005 at 03:47:00PM +0100, Marcus Franke wrote:
> Concerning the manageability I would say, yes, you are right. One
> should invent a solution like the manageability of WinXP SP2 with
> the help of the ActiveDirectory in a windows server domain.

> One ruleset for all boxes.

There are several implementations of this idea; cfengine being
perhaps the most popular. If you're only managing a few hosts, you
could probably also use a versioning sysem like CVS or SVN to
achieve a similar effect.

> But, often you read that attacks against servers will be done from
> the inside network.

This is why 'defense in depth' has become a popular mantra for
infosec people of late. Defending the perimeter often isn't enough,
especially in difficult-to-control environments (like some
businesses or most universities). Centrally administered host
firewalls often help plug holes that can't be covered on the
perimeter.

--

| jabber:..wcmaier at jabber.ccc.de | email:..........wcmaier at ml1.net |