rdr only works for some ports

Steven Schoch schoch at spamcop.net
Mon Aug 22 16:21:52 GMT 2005

Daniel Hartmeier wrote:
> There are a couple of possible explanations, the two simplest ones are:
>
>   b) check that routing from 192.168.1.101 to external addresses goes
>      through the pf box (and not, for instance, through that other
>      NAT router you mentioned). replies from the sshd to the external
>      ssh client must pass back through the pf box, so it can reverse
>      the address translation.

That was it!  I actually figured this out earlier.  Now I feel stupid.
The default route on the 192.168.1.101 box was still pointing to the old
Netgear NAT router.

I didn't notice this because the Windows XP boxes, on which it worked,
will periodically poll the DHCP server to get the update default router,
but the Linux system only did it when booting.

--
Steve