[pf4freebsd] Re: How can I compile PF without option PFIL_HOOKS defined in thekernel conf file?

sam samwun at hgdbroadband.com
Wed Sep 15 21:14:27 PDT 2004

Max Laier wrote:

>On Sunday 12 September 2004 03:34, sam wrote:
>

>>Hi,
>>
>>I tried many times, turning on and off the option PFIL_HOOKS in the
>>kernel conf file to try to get PF compile into the kernel, but without
>>success.
>>
>>When remove option PFIL_HOOKS, PF failed to compile. Here is the error
>>when compiling PF into kernel without PFIL_HOOKS:
>>
>>pf_ioctl.o(.text+0x5230): In function `hook_pf':
>>: undefined reference to `pfil_head_get'
>>*** Error code 1
>>
>>With option PFIL_HOOKS, the compilation failed with the following error
>>(this time PF is compiled OK, but the system does not like it:
>>
>>config -d /usr/obj/usr/src/sys/GENERIC /usr/src/sys/i386/conf/GENERIC
>>/usr/src/sys/i386/conf/GENERIC: unknown option "PFIL_HOOKS"
>>
>>Does anyone have any suggestion to compile PF into kernel in Beta 3?
>>

>Hmmm ... looks like a bad cvsup to me. Please cvsup to RELENG_5 once more and
>try again.
>
>RELENG_5 still has "options PFIL_HOOKS" available so it seems like you have
>CURRENT-ish sys/conf/* stuff in your tree which does not know about
>PFIL_HOOKS.

Yes, I checked out the 6.0 Current from the raw cvs src tree into a
seperate area other than /usr/src, I think that makes error.
In the /usr/src, I think I got the right version of the src. I have Beta
3 src in the /usr/src. The begging few lines of the UPDATING file is:
NOTE TO PEOPLE WHO THINK THAT FreeBSD 5.x IS SLOW:
        FreeBSD 5.x has many debugging features turned on, in
        both the kernel and userland.  These features attempt to detect
        incorrect use of system primitives, and encourage loud failure
        through extra sanity checking and fail stop semantics.  They
I have just checked out RELENG_5 from the raw cvs src into
/work/dev/src, and copied my own GENERIC file into the
work/...../sys/i386/conf/ directory overwritten the orginal one, and
then did a cvc update and commit.

Because I have all object files generated by the /usr/src and keeping
them in the /usr/obj directory, I m now in the process of making release
in the /usr/src/release. This should in turn produce final release files
from the /work/dev/src into MyRelease directory. Hope everything works
fine now...

Thanks
Sam