[pf4freebsd] Re: Strange problem/Need help

Max Laier max at love2party.net
Wed Sep 15 21:09:55 PDT 2004

On Friday 23 July 2004 10:31, Pyun YongHyeon wrote:
> On Fri, Jul 23, 2004 at 06:02:27AM +0200, Max Laier wrote:
>  > Hi,
>  >
>  > Christian S.J. Peron reported a very strange problem with pf in a recent
>  > current kernel. It turned out (after days of brainwracking debugging)
>  > that the problem went away by disabling the i386 optimized version of
>  > in4_cksum(). The problem I am having with this, is that I can't explain
>  > why this (standalone) thing would break all of a sudden (earlier kernel
>  > seemed to work). So what I am looking for are other examples for this
>  > behavior or possible explanations.
>
> Hi Max,
>
> I don't know where the problem is.... :-(
>
> How about this? Instead of using hand-optimized code, it would be
> better to use system supplied one. This will work on icc too.
> I have to go out now. Please review the patch and let me know your
> opinions.(It wasn't tested at all.) This one can be used for a while.
> Personally, I really want to import NetBSD's approach.

I like it. I can recall that we talked about using in_cksum_skip when we frist
did in4_cksum, but for some reason it wasn't useable then (iirc). Can your
remember the complete story?

Anyway, I ran this on my gateway for two days and it seems okay. I'd like to
have a little more feedback before commiting, though. Please copy attached
in4_cksum.c into src/sys/contrib/pf/netinet, build and run with it. If you
have any shake out, please let me know.

Pyun, I assert the original OpenBSD in4_cksum.c copyright on this one. Are you
okay with this solution?

/"\  Best regards,			| mlaier at freebsd.org
\ /  Max Laier				| ICQ #67774661
 X   http://pf4freebsd.love2party.net/	| mlaier at EFnet
/ \  ASCII Ribbon Campaign		| Against HTML Mail and News